Wednesday 8 April 2020

Dream weaver...

I had so many plans these holidays, finally being able to get into my sewing room " the shack", have a sort out and get some actual sewing done! Half done quilts, cut out new jackets, not to mention a mountian of mending. I even took my "new" ( to me) machine to Roger at Statewide, to see if it was worthwhile servicing/ repairing. * more next post!*

But no, it was not to be. 
I knew there had been some rain seeping through the back wall where it meets the floor. But it was worse than I first thought. So everything is packed and piled in boxes at the " dry" end of the room. Lucky I have a travel sewing kit in the house ( needles, mini scissors, black and white cotton) in case I need to sew a button ( which I did have to do yesterdat in fact!). Because I can't get to anything else.

I have 2 knitting projects on the go, of course! 

As I had to throw my lovely carpet mat out ( lucky it is hard rubbish next week) I thought maybe this would be an opportune time to start a new craft I have been wanting to try - rug making! I had left a couple of old sheets accessible after all...
I did some research online, watched some YouTube clips, and got my eldest ( who has developed an interest in woodwork) to make me a wooden weaving " needle". Rustic yet rather lovely I think. ( pen for scale)
My first attempt started looking too bulky and floppy. 
Then I thought " what if I weave onto rope" - like my machine sewn rope bowls.
I am much happier with this version, looks more like a rug.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you haven't lost any supplies with the water damage.
    I had great plans too - cause hubby was suppose to be on a 3 week school trip o/seas! You know the ability to just leave stuff half done all over the place! Any way the rug is looking great, looks like a lot of effort. Have you thought of a simple plait? coiled in an oval or circle? Can't wait to see the finished result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky nothing lost, ( except literally lost since I shoved everything in boxes and can’t find things now!)
    The four way plait looked too tricky, and the plaited rugs look great but you still have to sew the braid together. The Amish one I am trying is basically tying knots! But will still take a while, esp. since I haven’t done any for a while and have been knitting instead!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!