Monday, 24 July 2017

Mollie Makes jacket take 2

I bought a 1.1m piece of scuba fabric from a  40% off remnants sale at RR a while ago. I had originally thought of making a dress or skirt, but figured I would probably get more wear out of a jacket.  

I used the zip front jacket pattern from a Mollie Makes sewing special, which I have made once before. I don't wear it much, but always get compliments when I do. I think one of the issues was I didn't have enough plain long sleeve tops to wear under it, but I have made a few more now so it will probably get more regular outings now!

Like the first, I opted to leave off the zip, and use a hidden press stud and large button on the front instead. 
The scuba is weird stuff to sew, the needle was skipping stitches until I adjusted the stitch size and tension, but I probably should have tried a new needle. I didn't realize how tough the scuba was until I was hand sewing the button on!
I added some extra facings which aren't in the pattern, but think it sits better than my first version, plus I left the darts out.  The fabric is pretty loud, and like the first, I will wear it more like a top, I don't like the way it sits when it is open...but that is ok, it makes it into a very funky top I think!

Friday, 21 July 2017

Sewing like greased lightning!- AND sewing bee FINALLY back on tv!

Nothing like being told at 5:15  that "remember these cuffs are too long mum" when the teen trumpet player is getting dtessed for 5:40 lift to play in the school production!  Aaarrrgghhh!

AND in very exciting news- purely by chance I googled " Great British Sewing Bee Channel 9" and discovered- would you believe it!- that Ch 9 actually started showing the sewing bee THIS AFTERNOON!!! Series 1 episode 1 was on today, the rest  is on every weekday next week at either 3pm or 2pm ( annoying random time changes, can't set the timer for daily!). Days & times in the screenshot here- can't wait to finally watch it!!!

Tuesday, 11 July 2017

Crafty coincidence?

I had a quick browse in Savers today, looking through the fabric, patterns,  and craft book section (yep, I did not look at the clothes at all!) Well I was wearing my new favourite (yet to be blogged) top I made from fabric found on my last trip to Savers, plus a scarf made from a silk scrap found at the nearby Don Bosco op shop!

I spotted this funky piece of Ikea fabric, I liked it but it didn't have a price on it,  so I left it and headed over to the books while I thought it over.

 I found quite a lot of interesting looking craft books, so I stacked them on a nearby table to sort through.  I weeded out a few, and kept 2 on pattern making/ fitting, and this book of assorted projects ( clothes, bags, gifts, quilts etc) which as some nice patterns.

I like these 2 simple strip quilts. Definitely planning on making more quilts now I have made my first!  

But imagine my suprise when I spotted this cushion pattern in the book- just look at the fabric used, the very same Ikea fabric I had just looked at!!! 
I figured it was a sign, so I went back & took the fabric off the shelf (turns out it was $5 which I think was more than the book cost!!!)   Might just have to make it into a cushion! 

Sunday, 2 July 2017

Retro styled bowls

How cute are these retro scandi styled glass bowls? Spotted in Hot Potatoes bargain store, Sydney Road Brunswick. Note the cheeky description " inspired by pyrex" on the label!

* Unfortunately I couldn't get to the Fabric Restash event yesterday, as I have come down with a rotten cold. So instead I spent yesterday on the couch. sneezing & reading ( "An echo in the bone" an outlander novel, which finished mid action so now I sooo need the next book!!).  

Thursday, 29 June 2017

Fabric Restash 2017

Catching up on my blog reading  last night, I discovered that the lovely Anna of "blogless anna" and her fellow sewing bloggers, have organized another " Fabric Restash" event in Fairfield this Saturday.  Hop over to her blog for more info.

I had a sort out a while ago, and have a box & a bag of fabric to donate/ swap, as well as some yarn I just sorted through on the weekend.  Anyone interested in coming?
Photo via blogless anna-

Wednesday, 28 June 2017

Latest sewing

I haven' t made any new tops for a while, and some of my previous makes are looking a bit worn from washing & wearing- so I made a couple more! Plus I found a gorgeous vintage look jacket at the op shop last week ( 1st pic)

Bright orange tees- made from an offcut from RRems- there was enough fabric for a peppermint jersey long sleeved tee and a scoop tee.

  The fushia/ grey stripe is from super cheap fabrics I think, as is the red/white marle- which is slippery and was a bugger to sew, but feels lovely to wear!

Friday, 23 June 2017

Bargain boots

My latest op shop find- cute grey ankle boots. Pretty sure they are brand new. I googled the brand, and apparently they retail for around $220!!! Bargain at $16 then ( 'cos I don't think I have ever paid anything like $220 for any item of clothing/ footwear, ever!).
They are great for work because I can quickly zip them on & off when visiting a " shoes off" house, and when crawling around on the floor with kids - much quicker than my boots with laces!