Sunday 10 September 2023

Meet Miss Honey - 1950 Singer 99K restoration project


 Just over a week ago this little beauty was gifted to me by my friend & sewing buddy Linda, who found her in hard rubbish. 

Made in 1950, the 99K is a nice compact machine, and although she is still made of cast metal she is waaay less heavy than my 201K and 66K. A very basic machine, she is a smaller version of my 1935 66K, but has the Centennial badge to celebrate 100 years of Singer Sewing machines ( 1851-1951) 

Hours and hours …and hours …of cleaning, oiling, soaking parts in isopropyl alcohol, & sanding have removed decades of rust and grime. 

Tips from YouTube and the wonderful brains trust at Vintage Sewing Machines Australia and New Zealand fb group have been invaluable.



I removed the electric motor and knee control, and added a couple of replacement parts from S & P Sewing Supplies- a new spool pin and a spoked balance wheel, ready for a hand crank.

After hours of working to remove the bobbin case - including having to loosen the “ Screw of Death” she was finally working, but I had to hold the tension discs in place. 

I had last minute idea this morning to fix the tension spring, and TA- DAH she works!

 I present to you - Miss Honey! ( named after Linda’s lovely greyhound) 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Love it. Looks like it was well worth the effort.

    I should have come over to SNH just to say Hi! saw your pic on the FB page.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!