Friday 21 May 2021

Benalla Day Trip pt 2 The Costume Museum

The real highlight of the Benalla day trip was the costume museum. There is a Ned Kelly section too, gift shop and tourist information section, all run by volunteers. 
I got there just as they were closing but the lovely gal at the reception desk/ information counter let me have a quick 5 minute whiz through... after she told me they had a dress dating back to 1750 and I got a wee bit excited! 

I will definitely need to go back for a proper investigation. I had a lovely chat with the volunteer & said how I got interested in costume history/ historical fashion through making cosplay outfits, and then discovering costube via CoCoVid last year. She was very interested to learn about Bernadette Banner ( ok I am a total fan girl!),  Abby Cox, The Welsh Viking and a few others on my YouTube subscription list. She said she would pass the info on to the volunteers who work on the costume museum.
Beautiful turn of the century/ 1920’s outfit. I am currently reading the Jaqueline Windspear “Maisie Dobbs” series set at this time - from the 1st World War through to to start of WW2.


Love this outfit - late Edwardian/ early Victorian I think.

1750’s dress.
Regency era on the right looks like it came straight off set of Pride and Predjudice!


 More next post!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, another fascinating destination I had no idea existed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely worth a trip! Violet town is another great spot to visit, about half an hour south of Benalla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun trip - must add to my list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!