Wednesday 15 August 2018

Winter knitting projects

I have been knitting a couple of quick projects lately, with more planned after looking up patterns on Ravelry!
Inspired by " Outlander" and some wonderful creations seen on the "Outlander inspired Costumes" facebook group (  which of course I had to join!)
My First attempt was a very basic garter stitch shawl, starting with 3 stitches, then adding a yarn over after the first knit stitch and again before the last stitch of each row. It made a big long triangle, and it is perfect for keeping my shoulders warm when reading in bed!


The second shawl was knitted using the "scrappy shawl pattern" found via Ravelry. I am fascinated by how adding 2 yarn overs in the middle of each row totally changes the shape.
With the first shawl, you start at the " pointy end" of the triangle and finish at the opposite long side, but with the second even though you start off with only 5 stitches, you are actually knitting the long side and the shaping means you end up at the pointy end! Which is kind of why I had to make one, just to get my head around the pattern - even though it is very basic, but the way it works is very clever!
This one is nice and warm, and can be worn as a bulky scarf. Turns out shawls are a great way to use up left over yarn ( hence the scrappy shawl pattern, there are some great colour combos shown there, using up lots of oddments).  I think I used 4 or 5 colours in the first one ( 2 strands knitted together all the way through), and the blue/ green triangle finished off 3 oddment balls of bulky yarn! 

1 comment:

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!