Tuesday 29 December 2020

Drafting a new sashiko pattern

I have been hanging out to do another sashiko piece, but was not happy with my 2 attempts to trace/draw a pattern onto blank fabric. Perhaps it was partly my wrong fabric  choice, it was just a bit slippery/stretchy and my lines looked all wonky! 
I have ordered a sashiko stencil kit, and stencil ruler from the US but they are yet to arrive.  EDIT UPDATE-order cancelled as out of stock, so I will  be driving to Craigieburn next week to buy the kit! ( see below) 
I am going to need some more thread too, but am hoping I can do a quick visit to Cutting Cloth in Fairfield this Thursday (is that the 31st? I have totally lost track!).
I also just found out that  I can buy sashiko supplies from Jemima's Creative Quilting in Craigieburn. I figure it would probably be quicker to drive up to CB than to tram/train into the city to go to Kimono House ( although I would love to visit the gorgeous Nicholas Building again!).

So anyway, I had this crazy thought the other night, about a sashiko design to try. If I can't sleep, or as a mental wind down to go to sleep, I think through craft/sewing ideas. Anyone else do that...? It is  often quite out there " what if..." type of ideas, and other times working through something I am stuck on. 
So this time I had a great idea - but then I fell asleep! I woke up knowing I had come up with an idea - but could not recall what it was! Lucky it was the weekend ( and school hols anyway) so I could stay in bed & try to remember what my idea was. 
Eureka! I got up & grabbed my iPad to look for similar ideas- surely someone else had made this? Well, not that I could find. 
So I hunted out some suitable fabric - I knew I had some black linen-y fabric somewhere, and found a suitable stitch pattern in my sashiko design book.
I drew around the largest plate I have, and a small glass bowl.
Used my 2cm sashiko grid ruler I made last week.
Ta dah!
Now I can stitch away while watching CosTube posts -  while my H is watching the cricket on tv!

1 comment:

  1. Looking good! love your design. Cough cough my sashiko is still looking at me!

    I have spent the last 2 days washing & cutting fabric. I want to tick some projects off my list!
    I haven't been to Jemima's before - I have heard of them - just not been there. I purchased my sashiko thread from ebay and some from Fibresmith. If you are in Moonee Ponds I think Tranquility would stock too.
    Happy New Year. I've lost track of days/dates too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!