Saturday 16 October 2021

Poppy Posy


 I saw these lovely poppies in a garden on a recent walk. I spent a while trying to draw & colour them yesterday, but was not happy with the result. I used a sheet from a Monte Marte Jumbo drawing pad with 95gsm paper, but I felt the colour were just too dull and flat. I couldn’t get the same lovely depth of colour that I get on other paper. I persevered because I figure it is all good practice! Interesting that different papers produce such different results.

I had started with only the briefest of pencil sketch outline, just some circles to place the poppies, then sketched the flowers with a pale grey marker before outlining in red or pink, then layering more colour. I wanted to try something different by filling in the background with colour, to fill the page a bit more & make the flowers pop a bit more, but it still looked dull. 

After a bit more research - reading online & watching some more marker YouTube tutorials, I got up this morning & thought “ what if I outline everything in black fine liner?”.

So I did, and am soooo much happier with the result now! The poppies definitely “ pop” a bit more now!




1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are having tonnes of fun!
    As I'm not as brave as you as to draw my own I often restamp after colouring to get a better outline defination. And as you have found different papers give different results. Alcohol markers love xpress paper you will find it a good art shops.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!