Saturday 1 April 2023

Vintage sewing update

 Gosh where has the time gone? Between moving house, going back to work, & life in general - there has not been a lot of crafting going on around here of late! 

But I did finally get to visit the new Anne Bonney’s Locker vintage sewing machine store in Hawthorn last week, where I bought a hand crank for Clara, my 66K. ( There may have been a detour via GJ’s Fabrics in Fairfield on the way too…)

Fitting the crank was super easy - I was so fortunate that my machine already had a spoked wheel, so I did not need to change the wheel over. One bolt, tightened with an adjustable wrench, make sure everything is lined up ok and ta-dah! She sews about 4-6 stitches - or about 1 cm - for each turn of the wheel with the crank. Much faster than just turning the wheel with my hand!




Clara does not have a cover - nor a proper timber base yet - so I pulled out all my sewing themed fabrics, and sewed up a cover. Quilting the layers together now old sheets for the backing, and some wadding scraps inside for a bit of structure) before I turn & shape it into the cover. All done with the hand crank. There is no  reverse on a 66k, so when I put the pieces together I turned them to stitch back the other way. Now I am just leaving long tails and knotting them. 

So much quicker to make a bobbin now with the handcrank fitted too! 

When I finish the cover I will post a photo of it in place. A nice cosy blanket to keep her warm, now the weather has turned.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great trip! Can't wait to see the cover.

    oh you have moved? permanently? back to the country?

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!