Monday 29 April 2013

It's that time of the year again in Moreland...

Hard rubbish time that is. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the "hunt" for treasures, I often have a mental "list" of things I am looking for. But at the same time, I abhor the absolute waste of perfectly good items crushed in the collection trucks, and sent to landfill. Especially after reading the story on the front of yesterday's Age about the young couple fleeing their home country to seek asylum in Australia, now living on $6 a day for food, no furniture or belongings, and expecting a baby. I wanted to drive a truck around Coburg and fill up their house!
Why do people throw away furniture, clothes, books, blankets, kitchen goods, baby capsules, toys....??? Take them to the op shop, phone Diabetes Australia and they will come and collect, how hard is it to make a phone call & put your box of stuff on the verandah? Not much more effort than dumping it on the nature strip.
Ok, enough of my rant. I did manage to find some "treasures"... I threw out our old jogger trampoline -bought for $10 from an oppy about 10 years ago, fell apart at year- and replaced it with one from a nature strip last week. But the weird thing is that someone else took our old one from our junk pile today!
Best find- a little old fashioned foot stool- I have my feet up on it right now.The fabric was faded and the foam had turned to powder! And I completely forgot to take a "before" photo, bugger! But here is the revamped version. Foam from my friend & neighbour Holly, who offered an old cot mattress when I told her about my project, and a piece of fabric from a bag of bits from Rathdowne Remnants (so probably about $1worth). Suitably "retro" fabric really-





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!