Monday 22 September 2014

3D sewing and macramé samples

There is something about turning a flat piece of fabric/ paper/ rope - anything really- into a solid 3D object that really appeals to me. Don't get me wrong, I still love sewing clothes, but every now and then I just have to try something a little bit different, outside the square sewing as it were. There has been a discussion on the school FB page about trying - or as is the case for some of us, rediscovering- macramé. So I searched through my craft book collection and found these...





I had a quick run around some local $2 shops on Monday, and bought a sample of ropes/cords to try. I was trying to start the white one, when Tigerboy, looking over my shoulder told me I was doing it wrong! We got it sorted out-


them he made his own sample piece - the jute string key tag above, and started a second one-



Playing around with the cording & string, I remembered seeing a pattern for a string bowl a while back. I found a few patterns online, threaded up some fluoro green thread I have been wondering what to do with, and started sewing...





I LOVE the result! Already planning more, thinking about dying/ painting the rope before or after sewing, trying variegated thread....so many ideas! And I still need to try some more macramé too...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I love the bowl! the fluro thread really works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It is so bright it almost glows in the dark! Bought some fluoro paint to try too but having trouble finding any more rope at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!