Tuesday 30 May 2017

Marvelous discs pt 1

Ok so I know this blog is supposed to be about craft & stuff, but sometimes I like to take a creative detour. You may have guessed from the title what today's detour is about- yes those collectible plastic discs from Woolies. 

With both my boys in high school I thought we were over collecting the latest " collectible" novelty from the supermarket, so  at first I was saying "no thanks" to the discs.  Then I decided to collect some and give them to my friend as "rewards" for her grade 3/4  students. I hadn't even opened a packet to see what the discs actually looked like, I assumed they were thin plasticy cardboard pieces, something like tazos ( another  collecting craze from years ago!).

It was only when I saw some discs during a home visit for work, that I realized how solid they were, and that they were buildable.  They remind me of a toy which I think used to come in the cereal box ( showing my age here I know!), which was made by the Australian Jigsaw toy company.  I have a box of jigsaw "daisy" shapes bought when my kids were at playgroup,  a set of simple plastic shapes which slot together- exactly like the marvel discs! *
Suddenly I thought of all the teaching activities I could use the discs for, so I started collecting them for myself! And thanks to friends, family and workmates who have added to my collection, I have ended up with quite a few! I bought a storage tin for $1 at Woollies today, and with some cardboard dividers made from a cereal box, managed to fit them all in the tin.
Here is my collection so far- stay tuned for lots of ideas on how to use them  for a range of teaching activities.
( *seriously until tonight I had only looked at the colours and had not looked at the pictures on the discs, apparently some are rare and worth real money!)

2 comments:

  1. I don't shop at Woolies, so was unaware of these disks. But they do look like a toy we had many many many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the toys too! I don't shop at woolies either but have seen them popping up on social media for ridiculous amounts of money so parents can keep their kiddos happy. Have fun playing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!