Sunday 30 January 2022

January catch up

 It’s school holidays, so I should have got a lot of sewing done…but it has been just soooo hot, I get about 15 minutes or so out in my sewing shed - with 2 portable fans on- but then have to call defeat and come back inside the house! No air con inside either, just bigger fans & insulation, which my shed does not have!

I did manage to make 2 dresses - one was cut out last year & not sewn. When I did sew it up, mostly on my vintage singer, such a dream machine to sew with!- I realised that cotton sateen is great for a skirt, but not so much for a dress. Well not this pattern anyway. A bit too stiff, too much fabric in the back. But otherwise I like the pattern & the sleeves work well. I plan to use the pattern again, just with a more drapey fabric next time.


I compared it to an op shop scuba fabric type dress I have, which I added some darts to & shaped the sides a bit; drew sone lines on & added a bit of shaping. It does look better now ( I do like the print!) but I have not worn it again yet to get a photo. Bit annoyed I cut the front out in 2 pieces - it was supposed to have a centre split at the neckline, but I decided not to include it.At least the pattern is busy enough the front centre seam is not too  noticeable.

It fits over my head with a wiggle, and the classic tip ( leant from my Mum & Nana) to put a silk scarf over your head to cover your hair & make up before putting a dress on over your head! 


The second dress is my favourite basic A- line - I may have about 4 or 5 of these now! 

Can’t remember if the fabric was an op shop find, or maybe from Super Cheap fabrics just before they closed the Brunswick store. Has a nice 60’s vintage vibe, hence I added patch pockets instead of my usual side pockets. The fabric has a tendency to fray, so I overlocker all the edges first before sewing it together; this allowed me to simply turn the overlocker edges in & stitch them down for a super quick neck and arm finish. Tempted to add a white PeterPan collar, but that might be just too much! Have not worn this yet as I only finished the pockets yesterday, will be wearing it tomorrow.



3 comments:

  1. I didn't know Super Cheap had closed their Brunswick store. Everything changes when you leave an area!

    Getting 2 dresses made sounds very productive to me. Definite 60s vibe to the second one - it looks perfect for the weather today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vireya, it was nice and cool to wear in today’s heat! I spotted a white Vespa parked in a driveway on my way home from the supermarket today, and was so tempted to stop and get a photo posing in front of the Vespa! But I am rubbish at selfies, plus I had a box of icy poles that needed to get into the freezer asap, so no photo!

      Delete
  2. Looks like school holidays well spent! And even though I am reading this weeks after you posted it - can you believe it is still hot! Bit cooler tomorrow I believe.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!