Saturday 18 June 2022

Making do…

 So it has been an interesting week. I went to Rathdown Fabrics Friday week ago, to check out their range of stretch wool fabrics/ wool jerseys. I bought a metre each of pink marle, purple, and navy; cut & sewed the purple & pink leggings when I got home. The navy I think I will keep & use for a nice warm long sleeved tee shirt instead. 

The pink leggings are warm but a bit loose - it is all about the stretch & weave of the fabric. 5 pairs of leggings made with the same pattern in the last week ( not counting however many I made  last year !) but some fit very snuggly while some are a bit too loose. I will take them in a bit by running them through the overlocker again.

We had a busy weekend with various family events & outings, but somewhere along the line we have unfortunately contracted Covid! After having to deal with the drama of online grocery shopping - such a saga, it really has no appeal at all, but when you are confined to barracks there is not much choice! I had to send the eldest a list of extras to find at the shops - the main item being tissues. However there are none to be found anywhere “ except for one box of vanilla scented which I know you would not want!” ( yes thanks mate! he knows I detest most scented products. Eucalyptus is the ONLY acceptable scent for tissues!).

I knew I had a fairly full box of tissues out in my sewing shed, so I went out to get them earlier. Then I thought well, the overlocker is still out on the table, I have plenty of soft cotton sheets, and I do remember going to an overlocker class a few years ago & learning how to use the rolled edge function. 

So - making do! I cut out some 12” squares of fabric ( when I washed my cutting mat recently I put it on the table with the inch side up, to give the centimetre side a break from always being cut on!). I had to get the overlocker instruction book out to remember what to do, then I sewed up 6 new hankies! I do have some old hankies in a drawer somewhere, but I remember they were always so thin…these are definitely thicker fabric. I doubt I can convince anyone else to try them, but if I can get us through the next few days without running out of tissues until I can leave the house to look for some …







2 comments:

  1. My sympathies! It is 2 weeks since I got it. Mostly OK now, but the cough is still around. Hope you will be feeling better soon, and the need for tissues dries up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I hope you are feeling better now and have no lingering side effects. You are very resourceful! Tissues are like hens teeth at the moment. So far only 2 of the 6 people in my house have had COVID - strange how it goes - I keep thinking my number must be coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!