Friday 12 July 2013

Skirt sewing

Have you seen those lovely skirts with the ribbing waistbands, sold at craft markets & online? They look so comfy, & knowing how comfortable my patchwork jersey wrap skirt is to wear, I have been trying to work out how to make one. Turns out the style is called a "yoga waist" skirt. Tried a net search once I figured out what I was looking for! I found some good tips on the "sew mama sew" and " crafty mamas" blogs.
I used my old faithful A-line skirt pattern, tried on one of my skirts, measured how far up I could get it on with the zip open, traced off a new pattern and gave it a whirl!
First time around the ribbing was a bit loose, so I unpicked the waistband & re- sewed it a bit smaller. I didn't allow extra length to turn up a hem, so just overlooked it. 2nd time around I made it a bit longer, got the waistband right first time, and am very pleaded with the result! Fabric from Rathdowne remnants.all done on the over locker bar the hem. Might add a pocket but I ran out of the matching thread & haven't got into the Coburg Sewing centre to get some more yet.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!