Sunday 25 April 2021

Sew vintage pt 1

I finally got around to something I have been meaning to do for ages... figure out how to wind a bobbin on my singer 201K. Thanks to YouTube and a print out of the original manual, I managed to wind not 1 but 2 bobbins!  
I also puzzled out how to cut a skirt from a lovely scrap of plaid fabric I found at an op shop years ago, and had stored in a box labelled " Outlander fabrics". But really there was not enough of this fabric to make an Outlander length skirt. But there was just enough to make a past knee length skirt, based on a green plaid skirt I found in my abandoned projects box - another op shop find, but the skirt was slightly too small. I finally figured that by unpicking and widening the pleats, I could add in a little bit more width to the waist. Of course I added in a pocket too. 
So using the green skirt as  pattern inspiration, I cut out the brown plaid. There was just enough for the skirt and pocket, with only a bookmark sized scrap left over! 
Since it was a sort-of vintage styled skirt - inspired by Bernadette Banner's modern day Victorian walking skirt - I thought it would be  the perfect first project to sew on my vintage singer!
The only modern day sewing was that since I thought the wool fabric would fray like blazes, I overlocked the edges of the 2 skirt pieces & 2 pocket pieces ( the skirt is basically 2 large rectangles). 
The singer is a dream to sew with! I love love LOVE the speed control I have with the knee lever, I can sew soooo slowly if needed, like the tricky bit around a zip. And it is much more quiet than my Janome. I even like the smell, which is probably mostly machine oil. I read that they use a bit of oil & that it is recommended to oil the machine at the start of each new project. I figured since mine has bwen sitting there unused for a year since I had it serviced, a few drops  of oil wouldn't go astray. 
I just have to finish the hem of my skirt tomorrow & it is ready to wear. It should be lovely and warm in this chilly weather!

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Pics of the new skirt???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must remember to take some pics in daylight tomorrow - once I have finally done the hem!

      Delete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!