Thursday 8 April 2021

New project -more Outlander sewing!

 I have been thinking about this latest project for ages - Brianna’s patchwork shirt from Season 4.

I started by searching op shops for a suitable linen shirt, ended up with a couple but decided on this one ( Adele Palmer would you believe!) 

I dyed the shirt with some cheap home brand coffee -now  labelled “ shed” coffee but jokingly referred to as another 4 letter sh word- because it does NOT smell like coffee, not when you open the jar, nor even  that much when boiling water is added! Very weird!

But it works ok to dye a white linen shirt a cream/ off white colour, & my son has used it to dye leather also.

Inspiration & tips from https://redshoesredwine.com/costuming-brianna-outlander-s4-patchwork/

I cut up a pile of patches - some fabric from the stash, as well as some lovely “scraps” found at GJ’s fabrics on my trip there earlier in the year, and some from Jemima’s in Craigieburn too.




I started sewing patches on while watching a movie last weekend, and took the project with me ( in a smaller box now!) while waiting in hospital on Tuesday when my youngest had his wisdom teeth removed .

 Starting to make some progress now, but I still have the sleeves, collar & back to go- as well as adding some embroidery/ boro stitching. I was reluctant to start because my hand stitching is rubbish, but having done a few sashiko projects now I was more confident to get sewing; and was inspired by Sheila at Redshoesredwine to just start! And now I am hooked!




3 comments:

  1. Very creative! Glad to know there is some use for "shed" coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only bought for dying things! But it is sooo weird that it has virtually no aroma! I don’t drink coffee but like the aroma - I always say if coffee tasted they was it smells I would drink it! But ai do like coffee flavoured cakes or desserts!

      Delete
  2. Cool! I think you're being hard on yourself your stitching is great!
    Thanks for the tip on the "shed" coffee!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!