Tuesday 28 September 2010

Holiday Sewing

First I made a new handbag...

Then using this pattern, and this most excellent book...

I made not one, but 2 skirts so far ....  and plan to make several more!

Denim wrap skirt with babushka and ribbon trim (bargain denim from Rathdowne Remnants - $7.50 for 2.5m because it had a water stain on it - which came out in the wash.  And the skirt uses less than a metre. There will be more denim skirts to come!)  The babushka fabric was from the Kelani stall at the Stitches and Craft Show, with a bit of ribbon from Spotlight.

Blue and brown fabric from GJ's, brown ric-rac from Rathdowne Remnants (yes, you have to look closely for the ric-rac).

It took a while to tweak the pattern, but it was well the effort. I have never made a skirt before! Now I am hooked! And thanks to the" Sew what! Skirts" book, I used two different finishing methods for the waitbands - bias binding for the denim one, and a facing on the blue/brown one - neither of which is in the original pattern!  The book explained how to use the A-line pattern to make a wrap-around skirt - and it worked!
I will be going back to work next week with a whole new wardrobe! I am really quite chuffed with the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!